Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
Dear grey-muzzled Mishka, a very old, very sweet, and very beautiful German Shepherd lady found herself abandoned at a local shelter. Mishka arrived skinny and with very poor skin and coat, and it is clear she had suffered previous neglect. Fortunately for this beautiful girl, a brand-new ODH foster family stepped up for her!
Mishka’s family report that with medicated baths, antibiotics, and antigungals, her skin, fur and smell has improved significantly—and so has her comfort level. She’s even gained some weight in the weeks she’s been home! Yahoo!
Surprisingly, Mishka’s ODH intake veterinary exam discovered that she has heartworm—until fairly recently a rare disease here in Washington State. (ODH has only had 3 cases of dogs with heartworm in its history.) Heartworm is a parasite—dirofilaria immitis—transmitted through the bite of a mosquito. It can be fatal in dogs if it isn’t identified and treated in its early stages, the symptoms of which can be subtle or associated with other issues, especially in our seniors: mild but persistent cough, fatigue, reluctance to exercise, decreased appetite, weight loss. But here again, Mishka got really lucky in her forever home: her people have been studying up on heartworm treatment and are ready to tackle the challenge. As they say, “We’re happy to walk this path with her. “ Walking alongside her will be her family’s other rescue, a Retriever mix named Casey who also experienced early neglect, but now graciously shares his loving home. And more good news: Mishka’s forever home happens to be very close to a trusted vet, so the care visits she’ll initially need will be easier on everyone.
Mishka’s people report that she loves being in “her” chair most of the day, and watches for us them out the window when they are out. But she’s not a complete couch potato! She really enjoys her walks and playing with her tennis ball.
We sure look forward to seeing this beautiful old soul heal and bask in the love of her forever family. With your support of Mishka and Old Dog Haven, her old dog dream is coming true!
Mishka is sponsored by:
- Katherine Busching & Richard Smale of Mill Creek, WA in memory of Sophie & Dee Dee (06/30/2021)
- Alejandra Stephens of Bothell, WA in memory of Ruby, my German Shepherd (06/30/2021)
- Lynne Edwards of Edmonds, WA in memory of Max , Shelby, Marlin and Maurice-my furry kids (02/28/2021)
- Hazel Bellinger of Belfair, WA (02/28/2021)
- Kait Barmann of Sandpoint, ID in memory of Ringo, Lacey and Friday (and all the others) (06/30/2021)
- "Casey" of Seattle, WA (02/28/2021)
- In honor and memory of sweet old man Rooney (07/31/2021)
- Judy Salvucci of Norwell, MA (02/28/2021)
- Gary Larsen of Lynnwood, WA (02/28/2021)
- Chris Wesche of Seattle, WA (02/28/2021)
- Heather & Steve Grassman of Sammamish, WA in memory of Hanna (02/28/2021)