Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
Pepper is a male shih tzu left by his owner at a local animal shelter at the age of 14. He spent five weeks in the shelter with a brief stint in someone’s home, then was brought back. The stress of all the moves was very hard on him.
Old Dog Haven became involved once his bloodwork showed how sick he was – his liver was failing, from either liver disease or Cushings, and his prognosis wasn’t good.
The first two weeks in his new home, he slept curled up, alone. He’d leave the room the humans were in. He’d limp in the morning due to his arthritis. But once he settled into his permanent foster home and was given love, attention, and full reign to be the master of his domain, his health sprang back. His liver function returned to normal. His shyness evaporated. He began to sleep with his family, then became inseparable. Now he will scratch any closed door between his humans and him. He’s nicknamed the “lurker” because he’s always staring, waiting, for a chance to jump into a lap or beg for attention. And now, because he feels safe, he sleeps stretched out, and no longer has a limp in the morning from sleeping in an uncomfortable but safe position.
From a dog literally dying from the trauma of being left in a shelter, to a happy, bouncing senior with a pep in his step, needing five walks a day, and loving every part of life, Pepper embodies why Old Dog Haven exists. He has so much love and life left to give – he just needed someone to give him a chance to show it.
Pepper is sponsored by:
- Hoa Nguyen of Costa Mesa, CA in memory of Maple, Peony, & Papaya (09/30/2021)
- Kat Smith of Belfair, WA (12/31/2020)
- Sheryle Aijala of Kirkland, WA my old lab, Miiko (09/30/2021)
- Nancy Lomsdalen of Mt.Vernon, WA (12/31/2020)
- Darlita & Douglas Nieuwendorp of Bellingham, WA in honor of Lola (12/31/2020)
- Ellen Sandajan of Santa Clara, CA (12/31/2020)
- Kymberly Shoun of Lake Stevens, WA (12/31/2020)
- Lisa Eiseman of Lake Oswego ,OR (12/31/2020)
- Lisa Koutek of Kirkland, WA (12/31/2020)
- Faraz Saleemi of Federal Way, WA in honor of Joju, Barley , Ralphie - Lifetime
- Ron & Tracy Bundy of Bellevue, WA in memory of Blackie (12/31/2020)
- Robert Goto of Everett, WA (12/31/2020)