Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
His history is a mystery, but Popeye the Sailor Man is his name. Popeye’s injured right eye makes him look appropriately authentic in his nautically inspired raincoat, as he surveys the waves (the backyard) while sniffing out any and all neighbors who might be outside. Although he only has the use of one eye, his nose and ears work perfectly and he can detect a BBQ for miles in any direction.
Popeye’s Old Dog Haven mom says that “He’s the smallest dog I’ve ever had the pleasure of living with–he’s full of energy, loves to play with toys and thinks his fur is Velcro as he attaches himself to me most of the time. Because he is so small, I was totally intimidated by every sound, cough, sneeze, and/or unusual move he made when I first got him home. I needed guidance, so Judith heard more from me in the first two weeks that Popeye was here than in the almost year that that my other ODH senior, Pebbles, did. I bothered Judith so often that she began to answer her phone, ‘Hi Jerri. What can I do for you and Popeye?’ I also sent her emails…at the end of one email, full of questions and trying to explain the situation, I said ‘he’s so small.’ Judith, in top form, answered all my questions, and ended HER email with, ‘By the Way, Jerri, TINY, is not a disease!’ I will never forget how I laughed with thankfulness.”
Popeye’s been with his ODH mom for awhile now, and because he has an enlarged heart they see the cardiologist as well as an ophthamologist regularly. Popeye has his challenges but he also has a bundle of energy and an exorbitant amount of love to give. His mom says, “Can you tell by now that I’m hooked on Popeye the Sailor Man?”
Popeye is sponsored by:
- LuAna & Ricky Boykins of Kennesaw, GA
- Shannon K Armstrong of South Colby, WA in honor of Patricia Armstrong - Lifetime Sponsor
- Loydene Rambo Daggett of West Richland, WA (10/31/2021)
- In recognition of Veneta Vet Hospital and in memory of Oslo (11/30/2021)
- Tammy Martinez of Seattle, WA (08/31/2021)
- Tami Euteneier of Mount Vernon, WA in memory of Tobi; Jane Buchanan of Port Orchard ,WA (08/31/2021)
- Cora Catak of Chicago, IL
- Annette Walter of Boonville, MO (08/31/2021)
- Karen Lawson of Bainbridge Island, WA