Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
From Popeye’s Final Refuge Mom: His history is a mystery. Popeye the Sailor Man is his name! His injured right eye just makes him look more authentic in his nautically inspired raincoat, as he surveys the waves (the backyard) while sniffing out any and all neighbors who might be outside. Although he only has the use of one eye, his nose and ears work perfectly! He can detect a bbq for miles in any direction…lol!
The smallest dog I’ve ever had the pleasure of living with me, he is full of energy, loves to play with toys and thinks his fur is Velcro as he attaches himself to me most of the time.
Because he is so small, I was totally intimidated by every sound, cough, sneeze, and/or unusual move he made. I, of course, needed guidance, so Judith heard more from me in the first two weeks that Popeye lived here that in the almost year that that gracious lady, Pebbles, did. I bothered her so often that she began to answer her phone, “Hi, Jerri. What can I do for you and Popeye?”
I also sent her emails…at the end of one, after asking several questions and trying to explain the situation, I said “he’s so small.” Judith, being in top form, answered my questions, and ended HER email with, “By the Way, Jerri, TINY, is not a disease!” I will never forget how I laughed with thankfulness.
So now it’s been a few weeks, Popeye has an enlarged heart so we’re off to the cardiologist this month, and since his eye is still there, he must see an opthamologist regularly, too. He has challenges, but he also has a bundle of energy and an exhorbitant amount of love.
Can you tell by now that I’m hooked on Popeye the Sailor Man?
Popeye is sponsored by:
- LuAna & Ricky Boykins of Kennesaw, GA
- Annette Walter of Iowa (09/30/2020)
- Katherine Bradley in honor of Coco (09/30/2020)
- Barbara Charlot of Seattle, WA in memory of Mugsy, Waffles, and Traddles (09/30/2020)
- Ashley Forsyth of Hoppers Crossing, Australia in honor of Aria (09/30/2020)
- Meg Robertson of Grants Pass, OR in memory of Pebbles (10/31/2020)
- Vawn Schmitt of Bothell, WA (10/31/2020)
- Tami Euteneier of Mount Vernon, WA in memory of Tobi; Jane Buchanan of Port Orchard ,WA (08/31/2021)
- Carol Osborn of Bothell, WA in memory of Pepper; Laura Egan of Olympia, WA (11/30/2020)
- Cora Catak of Chicago, IL
- Jack & Tamsan Harmon of Port Angeles, WA (01/31/2021)
- Annette Walter of Boonville, MO (08/31/2021)
- Karen Lawson of Bainbridge Island, WA