Truly enjoying her new home with lots of love
Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
Shadiya is another sad example of what happens if you don’t plan ahead for the care of your dogs if you’re unable to care for them.
After being found by the dead body of her person and spending two months in a busy, noisy shelter because neither friends nor family would take her, Shadiya came home to us exhausted and depressed. She slept for 24 hours and now after 10 days of vet care, TLC, and understanding that she now lives with people who love and value her, Shadiya is on the road to recovery and living the best life she can as a much loved old lady.
Shadiya’s body isn’t strong (cataracts, enlarged heart, luxating patellas) but she has a sense of identity that makes us smile, and she isn’t defined by her limitations. She can’t walk much because her back legs don’t work very well because of her knees, but she manages to get where she needs to go just fine—where she needs to go is usually one of the comfy dog beds where she burrows under the blankets and naps. Or … better yet a lap.
It would seem that Shadiya hasn’t really ever eaten dog food, so we’ve provided a buffet of various foods to tempt her and she’s finally coming around. It’s interesting to see what she likes and doesn’t like to eat: No rice, yes mashed potatoes. No regular dog food, yes A-D with warm chicken, No special dog treats, yes Milkbone broken up in very small pieces (she only has a few teeth.) But at least she’s eating, drinking and her bodily functions are working again.
This little sweetheart has found her way into our hearts. We love her and hope she can stay for a while.
Thanks to ODH for providing much needed vet care.
Shadiya is sponsored by:
- Sallie Plummer of Richardson, TX (11/30/2023)
- Robert C Meehan of Vienna, VA - Lifetime Sponsor
- Terri Booth of Everson, WA (11/30/2023)
- In honor of Lana (03/31/2023)
- Sandra Hung of Seattle, WA - Recurring (06/30/2023)
- Mary Wagner of Seattle, WA in honor of Sal
- Victor Nosce - Lifetime
- Elmer Strueh of Portland, OR - Recurring (06/30/2023)
- Jane Preston of Bellevue, WA - Lifetime Sponsor
- Patricia Kurtz of Lake Forest Park, WA in honor of the many senior chihuahuas I have rescued over the years (05/31/2023)
- Karen Johnson of Chicago, IL - Lifetime Sponsor
- John and Karen Somerville in memory of Lady (05/31/2023)