Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
Sophie is a very small schnauzer, weighing in at only 11 pounds, but with every bit of the feisty schnauzer personality. She was turned into a shelter at 13 years old by an owner who could no longer afford her vet care – she’d done a knee ligament repair and a dental, but now there were issues with her liver and her bladder. After too long in the shelter, ODH was finally asked to take her.
She had one emergency room trip for GI distress and then saw 3 different internal medicine specialists and had three abdominal ultrasounds. A gallbladder mucocele was finally diagnosed but also fairly serious liver disease; she continued to have crystals in her bladder but those have stayed at bay with careful management. Then she developed hypertension with proteinuria. SO little Sophie takes 5 different medications daily, is on a prescription diet for her liver and gallbladder, and has very regular checks on her blood pressure, blood chemistries and urine. Amazingly, after two years she is going strong! She insists on occupying her dad’s lap and the center of the bed, she makes funny noises at all the other dogs but shares the lap with several, she screams in a very high pitch for her 5-times daily meals, and she can fly around the field with the best of them if inspired.
Sophie is sponsored by:
- Ann Abrahamson of Ocean Shores, WA in memory of ODH alum "Gilda" (10/31/2018)
- Markiva and Joe Contris of Tacoma, WA in honor of "Bear" (03/31/2018)
- Noel and Ardeth in honor of Peggy, Winston and Laney (03/31/2018)
- Georgia Lockwood of Kirkland, WA (03/31/2018)
- Jo Bryant of Seattle, WA (03/31/2018)
- Susannah Easterly and William Murray of Seattle, WA in memory of Crystal and Winston for Carolyn and Eric Easterly
- Sophie McCoy of Tallahassee, FL (12/31/2018)