Please keep in mind that Old Dog Haven dogs are in a network of foster homes all over western Washington, not in a kennel. Opportunities to help with dog care and companionship seldom arise.
Foster or Final Refuge Home — Old Dog Haven’s greatest need is for foster and Final Refuge homes.
Transport Volunteer — This is an on-call position. It doesn’t require a regular time commitment but does require flexibility to make a trip on fairly short notice. Transport volunteers move dogs between shelters, foster homes and owner homes, or pick up and deliver supplies or donations. Trips can be in various areas of western Washington, so volunteers from all areas are needed. Often the longer trips are divided between two or more volunteers. If you might be available for an occasional trip, you could be a great deal of help! Required: a vehicle that you can get a stiff old dog into, a cell phone, a Washington driver’s license and vehicle insurance.
Outreach & Events
- Distribute brochures in your neighborhood — Coffee shops, vet clinics, pet stores and dog groomers are just some possibilities.
- Event Volunteer — Help staff a booth or information table at our outreach events. The time commitment is generally 3 – 4 hours and requires good knowledge of Old Dog Haven missions and operations. Training and materials provided.
- Monitor a Donation Can — Place and monitor a donation can at a local business. This requires a minimal amount of time but attendants must be willing to check the can every 2 to 4 weeks.
- Host A Benefit — Do you have an idea for a fundraiser? Some great examples of benefits held for Old Dog Haven have included a luncheon, garage sale, bake sale, class sessions with proceeds donated, 5K races. We can provide information on ODH.
- Workplace Giving — Invite an Old Dog Haven representative to speak at your workplace. Many companies offer employee giving programs with or without matching funds and it’s a great way to help spread the word about Old Dog Haven to your colleagues.
- Calendar Vendor — Place and monitor calendar sales at a local business. This is a seasonal position usually lasting from October through February.
Thank You Cards — Volunteers are needed to write thank you cards for donations. Legible handwriting and a few hours every 2-3 weeks are required. Cards must be sent out within a week. Important: December and January are the busy season, be prepared!
Marketing/Promotion — Old Dog Haven needs volunteers experienced in Graphic Design, Photography, Videography, Social Media, Web Design, PR and E-Marketing.
Special Events — The Walk for Old Dogs is our biggest event of the year and volunteers are needed to:
- Send out weekly emails to walk registrants. Must have experience in MailChimp or Vertical Response, and Photoshop.
- Update the Walk for Old Dogs web site.
- Do public relations and graphic design for marketing
- Procure prizes for top fundraisers and Old Dog Pageant winners.
- Oversee volunteers the day of the walk.
- Distribute posters and postcards
- Assist with set-up, registration, information booths and clean up on the day of the Walk.
These are just some of the ways to help Old Dog Haven. If you have a special skill or idea we’d love to hear from you.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
Or Mail it to:
Old Dog Haven
621 SR9 NE PMBA4
Lake Stevens WA 98258
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Old Dog Haven. Your help is greatly appreciated!