Please keep in mind that Old Dog Haven dogs are in a network of permanent foster homes all over western Washington, not in a kennel or shelter environment. Because of this, we do not need help with dog care or companionship.
Final Refuge Home (permanent foster) — Old Dog Haven’s greatest need is for Final Refuge homes. Dogs that ODH takes into care are old and have a variety of medical issues that need to be addressed. Once they move into their Final Refuge home, they remain for as long as we can give them a good quality of life. For more information or to request an application, please click here.
Transport Volunteer — This is an on-call position. It doesn’t require a regular time commitment but does require flexibility to make a trip on fairly short notice. Transport volunteers move dogs between shelters, foster homes and owner homes, or pick up and deliver supplies or donations. Trips can be in various areas of western Washington, so volunteers from all areas are needed. Often the longer trips are divided between two or more volunteers. If you might be available for an occasional trip, you could be a great deal of help! Required: a vehicle that you can get a stiff old dog into, a cell phone, a Washington driver’s license and vehicle insurance.
Outreach & Events
- Distribute brochures in your neighborhood — Coffee shops, vet clinics, pet stores and dog groomers are just some possibilities.
- Event Volunteer — Help staff a booth or information table at our outreach events. The time commitment is generally 3 – 4 hours and requires good knowledge of Old Dog Haven missions and operations. Training and materials provided.
- Monitor a Donation Can — Place and monitor a donation can at a local business. This requires a minimal amount of time but attendants must be willing to check the can every 2 to 4 weeks.
- Host A Benefit — Do you have an idea for a fundraiser? Some great examples of benefits held for Old Dog Haven have included a luncheon, garage sale, bake sale, class sessions with proceeds donated, 5K races. We can provide information on ODH.
- Workplace Giving — Invite an Old Dog Haven representative to speak at your workplace. Many companies offer employee giving programs with or without matching funds and it’s a great way to help spread the word about Old Dog Haven to your colleagues.
- Calendar Vendor — Place and monitor calendar sales at a local business. This is a seasonal position usually lasting from October through February.
Thank You Cards — Volunteers are needed to write thank you cards for donations. Legible handwriting and a few hours every 2-3 weeks are required for the general thank you cards. We also need card writers for sponsorship donations which also involves printing the sponsored dog’s picture on a blank card, so this requires a color printer. Cards must be sent out within a week. Important: December and January are the busy season, be prepared!
Marketing/Promotion — Old Dog Haven needs volunteers experienced in Graphic Design, Photography, Videography, Social Media, WordPress website editing, PR and E-Marketing.
Special Event — Old Dog Haven has a special event each year and we often need a variety of volunteers both before and during and after the one-day event (generally held in July or August). Please let us know if you would like to be invovled! In particular, we always need help in set-up and take-down for the day-of the event.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
** Note: Some volunteer areas may be full currently. If that’s the case we’ll keep your application on file. Please know we really appreciate your support!