Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
When Lucy arrived at our home at 10 years old, she had severe allergies and looked like a very, very senior dog. Both of her ears were infected and weeping pus. This sweet girl followed me everywhere just so she could sit next to me and be comforted.
Old Dog Haven immediately sent her to specialists, including an allergist, and ultimately the decision was made to perform a bilateral TECA-BO (Total Ear Canal Ablation and Bulla Osteotomy) to get the allergies and severe infection under control. These untreated infections had already blown out both of her ear drums. Lucy was suffering and in constant pain and she was also completely deaf. The TECA-BO procedure is expensive and delicate: It involves the complete removal of the scarred and narrowed ear canal and middle ear, leaving only the ear flap. But once the infected tissue is removed, chronic pain and inflammation is greatly reduced. Generous donors to the Maranda Fund made Lucy’s surgery possible. Two weeks after the surgery and a course of antibiotics Lucy was a whole new dog!
Lucy’s recovery was amazing. We took her to the dog park and everyone wanted to know how old our “puppy” was. When we told them she was a senior they were amazed. She literally got a whole new “leash” on life and was pain free for the first time in many years thanks to all of you who support ODH’s life-saving work.
Since her arrival more than two years ago, Lucy has become our constant companion. She has never let being deaf slow her down and still follows me by scent all over the property. This sweet girl will always have a very special place in our hearts. We love you Lucy!
Lucy (Cocker) is sponsored by:
- Donald Knapp Legacy Trust of Redmond, WA in honor of Sheila Brunsch (12/31/2021)
- Victor Nosce in memory of Klondike - Lifetime Sponsor
- Deanna Woodruff of Sammamish, WA (05/31/2022)
- Rebecca R Hoffman of Shoreline, WA
- Jeremy & Rachel Sites of Lake Stevens, WA in loving memory of Teddy (08/31/2021)
- Melissa Moody of Champaign, IL - Lifetime Sponsor
- Tina Perovich of Kent, WA in honor of Joseph Gause & the Food & Beverage team at Muckleshoot Casino
- Terra Anderson of Redmond, WA In honor of DF (07/31/2021)