Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
So often we never know the history of the dogs we take into our care. Faline is one of those, a mystery. How did such a petite, pretty dog end up “stray”?
Old Dog Haven was asked to find Faline a home when the shelter staff realized she wasn’t going to be adoptable. In her case it was not just because she was an older dog in need of medical care but also because she was terrified at the shelter.
We don’t know why Faline is so frightened of people. It makes you wonder why, was she abused? She certainly didn’t look like it when she arrived at the shelter. Yes, she was underweight and dirty but there was no sign of physical abuse. Faline doesn’t try to bite; she just screams a blood curdling scream when you approach her or try to touch her. She will often run away screaming. Her foster family reports that she likes to hide in small spaces-the cubby in a closet or in a crate in the living room they leave open specifically for her.
Faline’s fosters are allowing her to take the time she needs to feel comfortable and safe in their home. They are seeing small signs of improvement, signs that she is learning to trust she is safe and loved. It helps that Faline sees the other dogs in her Final Refuge home are confident and happy. So often a new dog can learn from established dogs in a home by following their cues.
Thanks to donations to Old Dog Haven, Faline had a thorough intake exam. That had to be done in 2 appointments so that she wasn’t overwhelmed. She’s undergone a dental, 7 rotting teeth were pulled. Faline is eating well and she’s gained the weight she needed to gain. Physically, she’s doing well now we hope to get her emotionally well too.
Faline is sponsored by:
- Jeannie Johnston of Keaau, HI with love for Sierra and Shane Fry (03/31/2019)
- Deborah J Meyer of Kirkland WA as a gift for Linda Marquardt (12/31/2019)
- Georgia Lockwood of Kirkland, WA (06/30/2019)
- Anonymous (12/31/2019)
- Jill Gruver of Edmond, OK (03/31/2019)
- Ann Kumasaka of Seattle, WA (12/31/2019)
- Lisa McCane of Seattle, WA (06/30/2020)
- Anonymous In honor of Steve the cat & Dr. LaVigne & Staff (06/30/2019)
- Jennifer Aleksich of Arcadia, CA in memory of Groot, Sherman, Leonard, Violet, Felix, Tulip & Chiquita Nabseth (04/30/2019)
- Barbara Michieli of Seattle, WA in memory of Bridgett & Chipper (06/30/2019)