Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
Pearl, a 90-pound Leonberger or Great Pyrenees/moose mix came into Old Dog Haven care after apparently spending part of her life in the south. Like many dogs from warmer climates, her first ODH checkup found that Pearl suffered from heartworm and tapeworms, as well as an untreated eye tumor in her left eye that had led to blindness.
Once in her Final Refuge home, Pearl was able to get immediate care. Her heartworm treatment regimen meant that her physical activity had to be restricted and this was hard on her–she would scratch the door when she was left behind on walks with Zeke, her fellow senior in residence. Now that her treatment is complete and Pearl is parasite-free, her people report that she LOVES going on walks and smelling not just the roses but everything she encounters! They also tell us that Pearl’s “more than a little food motivated, elevating meal time to national holiday status.” Because she’s tall enough to get her paws on the counter and more than happy to nab some food from a plate if their attention is diverted, they’ve had to be careful about protecting the “people food.” Pearl has discovered she’s not small enough to get through the cat door of the baby gate, though. Rats!
Pearl’s also an expert napper, and can snooze anywhere and anytime. Pearl and Zeke like napping together on the couch, next to the bed, in their mom’s home office, or in the kitchen – basically anywhere and everywhere! Pearl particularly enjoys nestling in the chair near her mom’s work desk and interrupting phone conversations with her snoring. “She also truly loves petting and if you stop, she will nudge with your nose or paw until you start again…Pearl’s a big furry love bug!”
Pearl (Leonberger) is sponsored by:
- Caryn A Brooks of Mountain View, CA in honor of Marilyn Saunders (03/31/2022)
- In recognition of Oregon Mastiff Rescue (03/31/2022)
- Carrie Lyon of Puyallup, WA (12/31/2022)
- Lisa Hayes of Washington, DC in honor of Gail Boyer - Lifetime Sponsor
- Caleb R Mize of Lexiington, SC in honor of Catherine (03/31/2022)
- Philip Jones of Olympia, WA (02/28/2022)
- R.C. Painting & Sons, Inc. - Lifetime Sponsor
- John Strampher of Puyallup, Washington in memory of "Maisie”, “Mia”, “Buffy”, “Ebby” & “Duchess" (02/28/2022)
- Susan Drake of Newport Beach, CA (12/31/2022)