Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
Old Dog Haven first heard about 12 year old Sissy while she was still living with her owner. We were told she was overweight and “her breathing was hard”. Her owner was moving and no one wanted her. How could that be?
A rescue that we refer to offered to take Sissy in and get her vetted. The hope was she just needed some basic vetting, TLC and weight loss and she’d be adoptable. Sissy was dropped off at a vet clinic, filthy, full of live fleas. Her hair was matted, nails were long overgrown and she weighed in at over 105 pounds. Sissy was a physical wreck; it broke the hearts of everyone at the clinic to see a dog in such a neglected state. Being obese and arthritic, getting up and moving wasn’t easy for her. In addition to this, Sissy had a nasty UTI. Poor girl! Staff told us in spite of her physical troubles, she was a really happy, sweet old gal. She allowed them to poke and prod her and didn’t fuss at all while they lovingly cleaned her up.
Through vetting it was found she had both high blood pressure and Cushing’s Disease. At that point it was determined Sissy was not a dog who could be put up for adoption so an Old Dog Haven Final Refuge home was found for her.
After only a few weeks, Sissy is already doing much better. She’s taking medication for her Cushing’s Disease and her high blood pressure. The UTI has cleared up with the help of antibiotics. Sissy is moving so much better thanks to a good joint supplement and daily walks around her foster family’s property. She is losing weight slowly but surely.
Sissy is your typical Golden Retriever, always grabbing a toy to carry around especially when she’s happy to see you. Her tail is always wagging and when she’s really excited she moves her head from side to side and smiles. Sissy will go outside and roll around in the dirt, happy as a clam. Sometimes she’ll hear a flock of birds outside and run (as best as she can) to go out and bark at the birds. Her fosters think it’s pretty cute.
Sissy’s Final Refuge fosters feel like the luckiest people alive to be able to give Sissy the home she always deserved. Thanks to Old Dog Haven sponsors, Sissy will receive the vet care and lifelong medication she needs to remain as healthy as possible. Every day is Golden with Sissy!
Sissy (Golden) is sponsored by:
- Alice Yao of Bellevue, WA In honor of Chubby (02/28/2019)
- Shelia Fowler of Covington, WA in memory of our sweet "Cheyenne" (07/31/2019)
- Elaine Huckabee of Everett, WA iIn memory of Sultan (02/28/2019)
- Kelly Foster of Olympia, WA in memory of "Molly" (02/28/2019)
- Melissa Seipel of Olympia, WA (07/31/2019)
- Lydia & Jose Vila of Lake Forest Park, WA (07/31/2019)
- Liana Raggio of Seattle, WA (02/28/2019)
- Diane Burk of Tacoma, WA in memory of Toby (08/31/2019)
- Claire Kingsbury of Kingston, WA in honor of my "old man" Bruce (08/31/2019)
- Xena and John Downs of Lynnwood, WA as a gift for Mischa & Colleen Potuzak (02/28/2019)
- The Coupeville Chicks in honor of Ellen and Ray Bond (12/31/2019)
- Lisa Hudson of Puyallup, WA (12/31/2019)
- John Barry of Duvall, WA in memory of Mandy (12/31/2019)