Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
From his Final Refuge Mom:
“Please welcome the marvelous Winston, an 11 year old yellow lab who thinks he’s the George Clooney of the furry set.
“He didn’t start out that way though. Dear Winston and another small sickly dog were found under a tree all alone. Unfortunately, once taken to the shelter, the female had to be euthanized. Winston came to the shelter also with ear canals full of thick pus, lichenification on head and body, skin areas that if pressed would result in purulent discharge, front legs that would only totter while his back legs would swing out, his paws would knuckle, and his breathing sounded like a freight train!
“Fortunately Old Dog Haven caught word of Winston and with the great ODH transporters, scooted that poor sad sack to our hairy house of bark! Once he was seen by our vets he received a pain plan, antibiotics, medications, x-rays, labs, vaccines – all making sure Winston was on the right track to becoming well. Because of ODH and it’s donors, he was provided the ability for having the best care for the rest of his life.
“Our Winnie is improving every day. He does his best to distract us from anything tasty that might be close enough to scarf from the counters. Loves to park his behind on any dog pads big or small (of which we have many). And he groans softly when we cover him at night with his special blanket. He’s excellent at trying to cram two tugs and a ball in his mouth to carry around the yard to play. And with enough time and meds, Winston can run which is a joy in itself. He weighed a 105lbs at the shelter and now he’s down to 87lbs today after his checkup. Our sweet Gus (ODH), who crossed the Rainbow Bridge recently will pass the torch to Winston in working on getting through that doggone dog door!
“And thank you ODH for each of the dogs that have come over our threshold and enriched our lives. So glad you exist.”
Winston is sponsored by:
- Izzie MacCubbin of Redmond, WA - Recurring (12/31/2022)
- Katherine Busching & Rick Smale of Mill Creek, WA in memory of Sophie and Dee Dee
- Stacey A Coleman of Blaine, WA in honor of Skipper (02/28/2023)
- Wendy L Bath of Williamsville, NY - Recurring (02/28/2023)
- Pat Hubbard of Boulder Creek, CA (11/30/2023)
- Jane Caron of Seattle, WA (11/30/2023)
- Deanna Woodruff of Sammamish, WA (11/30/2023)
- Doug Alder of Seattle, WA (11/30/2023)
- LuAna & Ricky Boykins of Kennesaw, GA in honor of 3 labs - Buster, Casey & Gunner! - Lifetime Sponsor
- Susan Boyle of North Haven, CT (11/30/2023)