Please note: The dogs in ODH's Final Refuge care are not adoptable due to medical reasons and all are in permanent homes. Your sponsorship supports the veterinary expenses for these dogs - and we thank you!
Steve is a 13 year old cocker spaniel. As a puppy, Steve came from a “breeder” who docked his tail badly (damaged the base of tail/pelvis) then sent him with fleas and worms to an older couple. Almost immediately, he developed allergies and has struggled with them ever since. Along the way he developed dry eye, had some kind of corneal injury, blew a cruciate years ago, had an episode of IVDD
Recently, one of his people died and the other is no longer able to take care of him. They moved in with adult children, who did NOT want the dog. To their credit, they did continue to take very good care of his medical issues. So when he arrived here, he was physically in pretty good shape.
But he was so sad. Lots of change, losing one of his people, moving to a place he wasn’t wanted, living in a 60″ x 60″ space separate from the family and very lonely.
He’s a sweet, quiet boy. He very much wants to be buddies with Zeke. (He actually wants to be friends with everyone he meets.) But Zeke is a Shih Tzu, so is not too interested in making friends. At least not quickly.
Steve is starting to settle in. He very much adores our dog walker who comes to take them for walks. At first he chose to sleep in another room, then he moved a bit closer, then into the same room. Now he often sleeps under my chair so I have to be very careful about getting up. I think he has decided he will keep me.
He has little bursts of energy, especially in the morning. He goes bounding outside, does his business, then bounds back inside ready for the first nap of the day.
I am so lucky that Steve has joined our household – thank you Old Dog Haven!
Steve is sponsored by:
- Katherine Busching & Richard Smale of Mill Creek, WA in memory of Sophie & Dee Dee (09/30/2021)
- in recognition of Fair Isle Animal Clinic and in memory of Willow (01/31/2021)
- Sandi Cantrall of Auburn, WA in memory of Claire who was a cocker rescue thru ODH, Chui & Yoda both Shih Tzus (12/31/2020)
- Staci & Mark Hurley of San Diego, CA in memory of Lyla (12/31/2020)
- Robert Goto of Everett, WA (12/31/2020)
- Karen Hogle of Shoreline, WA In Honor of our Seattle Guide Dogs for the Blind puppy club co-leader Heidi Hespelt
- Mary & Dennis Staberg of Anacortes, WA in honor of "Andy, Chelsea & Zoey" (10/31/2021)
- Tim Gillam & Dawn Farmer of Arlington, WA (12/31/2020)
- Britt & April Gibson of Redmond, WA (02/28/2021)